Wednesday, December 10, 2014

C'est la fête!

This weekend was the annual Fête des Lumières in Lyon! The city's buildings, streets, parks, and squares were illuminated with 70 light installations and the result was actually magical.


The festival is in honor of the Virgin Mary and the holiday itself is December 8th. Tradition is that every house places candles outside all the windows to express their gratitude to Mary. Over 4 million tourists come to see the lights that are up for 4 days!

Basically, Lyon was insanely chaotic for the whole weekend. Most locals recommended going to see the lights on Sunday and Monday to avoid the biggest crowds so that's exactly what I did! The night after I returned from my trip to Paris, I met up with Danielle and one of her friend's who is teaching English in Strasbourg for dinner before wandering the city.

Dinner @ Epicerie (of course)

The shows were incredible. I have never loved Lyon more than I loved it this weekend!

Here are some pictures from the first night we went out:

Place des Jacobins
Rue de la République
Some of the crowds on Sunday night...
With my barbe-à-papa
Cathedral Saint-Jean
My favorite light show of all!

On Monday, we went out for the last night of the festival. Before going to the Parc de la Tête d'Or, my host brother and I lit a bunch of candles and set them outside all our windows!


It was wet and rainy, but we had to go see more lights - we don't know if we'll ever be back in Lyon for the festival ever again! So Danielle and I braved the weather and explored the beautiful park!

No comments:

Post a Comment