Friday, August 15, 2014

Thirsty Thursday - Hot Cocoa and Beer

On Thursday, my mother and I took a long walk. From our apartment, we walked down the Rue de Rivoli, past the Louvre, and to the Jardin de Tuileries. From there, we turned and headed north to the Place Vendome. In the square, we window-shopped at the various jewelry stores – admiring the gems of Chanel, Cartier, Bvlgari, and more… After leaving the square, I showed my mom a beautiful store, Repetto, nearby that sells ballet shoes and flats. They had a great display and it was fun to admire their pretty things. We walked on to the Place de l’Opera, which was quite busy. There, I pointed out the Café de la Paix to my mother – I had gone there a few years ago for a late afternoon snack with my friend and her grandmother. By the time we had made it to the Operahouse, we were both pretty hungry. So we headed back the direction we came and had lunch at Angelina, a restaurant famous for its hot chocolate. 

Angelina storefront

After our main courses, followed by macarons and hot chocolate, we conceded that the only thing really worth getting there was the hot chocolate. The quiche and croquet madame were mediocre and the macarons were no match for those at Laduree. However, the hot chocolate was wonderful: rich, thick, and creamy.
Dessert at Angelina

After a big meal, my mother and I walked over to the Jardin de Tuileries, where we saw leashed goats grazing in the park! Natural lawnmowers, I suppose.



After sitting by the pond for a little, I walked my mother halfway to the Cluny Medieval Museum where she was to meet my father and grandparents. On my walk back to the apartment, a mother and her daughter asked me for directions to St. Michel – this was not only exciting because I did know generally where St. Michel was, but also because she must have thought I was a local! I’m sure the mother realized I wasn’t once I opened my mouth to answer her, but still! What a compliment J

Theo and I hung out at the apartment for a bit before heading out to shop on Rue de Rivoli, which is actually an extremely big shopping street. There were so many people! Theo was great company, and very patient as I walked from store to store. After I had found what I was looking for, we sat down at a corner café for a pre-dinner snack - our own mini Thirsty Thursday (hehe)!

My adorable big little brother

No comments:

Post a Comment