Monday, September 8, 2014

Commentary

France is an interesting country with interesting people.

I have been in France for exactly a month now and I have had the privilege to see Paris, several parts of the south, and Lyon. Each place has it's own personality and spirit, but they all share similar traits such an incredible public transportation system and beautiful, old buildings and squares. However, being the person that I am, it's the people I find most interesting.

To begin, I'll mention a few superficial things I have noticed. First, many more French people have tattoos than I expected. Second, what is with all of the suped-up sneakers? Colorful tennis shoes is one thing, but I do not support the high-heeled/platformed Nikes movement. And last, there is a little bit of truth behind the stereotype that supports the idea that some French people should be using more deodorant. To be honest, I really think it is the type of deodorant they're using. A perfume spray is not going to eliminate body odor, it is going to mix with it. Anyway...

As I previously stated, the public transport system is phenomenal. The train, the bus, the tram, and the metro are all extremely organized and efficient. Here, in Lyon, I take the tram every day to go to and from class, as well as around town. The first thing I noticed was the readiness with which people gave up their seats for seniors. Whenever an elderly woman or man steps on to the tram and there are no available seats, a young man or woman gets up immediately and offers his/her own. Not to say people in the U.S. would not offer their seats too (I wouldn't really know since I rarely use public trans at home), but there is a distinct respect for the older generation that is regularly observed here in France that I truly admire.

Another thing I have seriously learned since arriving in France is there is a pronounced difference between politeness and friendliness. At home, we (or, at least, I) think that the two are one and the same - how can one be polite without being friendly? Well, in France, I have learned that you can most certainly be polite without being friendly. When you are in a restaurant or store in France, the unwritten law (yes, I would definitely say law) is that you say bonjour the moment you step foot inside, and when you get to the register when in a store, and au revoir the moment you leave. However, these greetings between the client and store-person are often cold. Watching the French do this exchange is the most bizarre and I, being a foreign "client", am often uncomfortable with the frosty politeness.

This being said, I would not call the French hostile people. As I have met many French people the last few weeks, I would say that though there is rarely a sense of amiability between strangers, there is a warmness shared between friends (I say this in relative terms because to judge the French by American - or more specifically, my own - standards of warm and friendly would not be very fair).*


There you have it, my first few remarks on the French culture.


*Of course, there are always exceptions. My host family and a few waiters I have encountered are very open and kind, as well as a few administrative people and professors I have met at the university.

No comments:

Post a Comment